Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Small Things Do Matter

In the past, I used the calendar for football & basketball games.  Didn't want to miss one athletic event, however, I missed the entire season in 2010.  Now, I am carrying a calendar to keep up with much more--changes.  


CHIP'n AWAY at HEART DISEASE. . is not just a catchy phrase for the fight against heart disease.  Matter of fact, I'd like to thank Coach Cassandra Wilson, Varsity Girls Basketball at Northside High School for her input on the title.


I receive monthly biopsies that ensure there is no infection, no rejection of the transplanted heart.  I avidly keep up with this progress.  As a mentor for the GA Transplant Foundation, there are opportunities for speaking engagements at hospitals, health fairs in other communities, luncheons, and churches all in an effort to bring awareness about the fight against heart disease.  


Throughout my career, because of my competitive nature, I would spend endless hours developing plays or scenari.  Since retiring in 2009, I have drawn up two plays.  This for a coach calling at half time during an out of town championship game--changes.


Life is too precious to worry about the wrong things.  Small things do matter.  The human heart is a muscle that sits almost center of the chest and it is about the size of a fist. When the heart is not happy, obviously none of the other organs are not happy.  The heart will insist on a change of lifestyle through education, preventive care or other means in order to function properly.   Though my illness was related to heart disease, I encourage you not to ignore the small things.


Make the changes and take nothing for granted.  As for me, I'm ready for the new season!

No comments:

Post a Comment