Sunday, August 28, 2011

Being Healthy

When talking to my cardiologist, Dr. Brenda Hott, at St. Joseph's Hospital in Atlanta on Thursday, she reminded me of a few things I wanted to tell you.
  • Not every diagnosis leads to surgery.  This minimizes the fear of having regular check ups especially when having symptoms.
  • The likelihood that medications can help improve the quality of life for patients with heart disease has increased.
  • It is imperative to get this word out to the public about medical advances that can save lives.
Are there any issues causing you to change your lifestyle or any habits?

  • Name two things that may seem minuscule to others, but you enjoy much more now that it has changed. (comment below) 
1. I am able to walk further than five feet without giving out of breath. 
2. I don't dread bedtime. I can lie flat when sleeping and not have the sensation of suffocating. When I had conjestive heart failure, I slept sitting upright for three months.

Of course, I can enjoy much more being healthy. I am not very computer literate and I enjoy not worrying about mastering that; I enjoy my relationship with God; I enjoy encouraging people not to give up; laughing with friends and hugging my girls (though they are young ladies) & my big girl who stayed in the hospital for 50 days without leaving too.

Yes, I understand I can't reach everybody regarding this fight against heart disease, but God let me reach the right ones.

Healthy Heart Stats
Being a coach, you know I had to give some statistics from the clipboard. Check this out:



Heart Statistics
 Beats per minute
70-80
 Beats per day
100,000
 Blood pumped when at rest (1 beat)
70 milliliters
 Blood pumped when at rest (1 minute)
5 liters
Time for blood from heart to reach big toe
60 seconds


No comments:

Post a Comment