Thursday, May 10, 2012

COPING WITH DIABETES

Do the Right Thing

I hear it all the time, "Well when I know I will eat **something loaded with sugar** I will just give myself extra insulin."  Do you know anybody who says that?  Well, NOT ME.  I am asked if I am still diabetic after having the heart transplant.  Yes -  some of the immunosuppersant medications contribute to this condition requiring the use of insulin (type 2 diabetes).  While I was in the hospital, I wished I had a dollar for the number of times I was told "maintain control of your behavior if you want to minimize your health risks."  Okay!  I get it -- I will do the right thing.  Personally, I wouldn't do anything that would cause me to disregard a condition that can be difficult to stabilize such as this. 

Required first is a change in behavior or the way we conduct ourselves in relation to the risks.  The major [preventable] causes of cardiovascular disease are tobacco use, physical inactivity, an unhealthy diet and harmful use of alcohol.  Remember cardiovascular disease is anything that affects the heart/blood vessels or veins;  high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, heart disease, deep vein thrombosis, stroke.

Insulin is a hormone made by the pancreas to help the cells absorb glucose from the bloodstream and convert it into energy to fuel the body.  When the glucose level goes haywire, it can cause a sinking feeling and uncontrollably shakes.  Not good.

With a visit to your doctor who can monitor our ideal health care needs and provide a better understanding of the recommended range(s), you and I can continue to feel a whole lot better. Let's do the right thing. 

To Your Health,

~Coach Chip

No comments:

Post a Comment