Friday, November 4, 2011

Small Things Can Give Hope

It's a new day,  A bright and cool 4th of November morning. Yesterday I made a big pot of homemade vegetable soup. I am gonna say it was just in time!  I am looking forward to some simple joys today and the rest of this month in which we talk about being thankful.  I don't want to skip to Christmas too soon. 

I'll probably give my lawn a final going over to get it ready for the season ahead.  Maybe get some new weather stripping for the doors since the ladies in the house are talking about putting socks on their feet.  I love the cool weather.

You see, it's stuff like this that really makes me stop to look at the small things that mean so much.  The journey of battling poor health, pain or discomfort can go  unrealized until something happens directly to an individual or their loved one.  Occasionally, we see reports on television and say, "I can't imagine." We might even shake our head in disbelief.  

On Tuesday evening, I spoke with a former student athlete who I coached in middle school and is now in his 30's.  He wanted to talk shop because he is facing an evaluation for a heart transplant at Emory mid-November.  Before hanging up the phone, I wanted to leave him with hope.   Not knowing what to expect can cause a person to freeze in fear.  You talking fear factor, let someone tell you they are about to do something through your jugular.   I reminded him to repeat the promises of God--I am living proof He will bring him through and that he can one day feel better.

Have a good weekend.  Give God glory that because of Him you (we) are able.  And tell Him you see His works even in the small things.

Coach Chip

No comments:

Post a Comment