Monday, September 19, 2011

Denial Changes Nothing . . .

. . . But you can :>)


a (1) : refusal to admit the truth or reality (as of a statement or charge) (2) : assertion that an allegation is false.


I remember being in denial.  At a doctor's visit, the diagnosis was given and I said, "well is there anything else doc?"  I looked him right in the eyes and felt he must be talkin' to someone else.

I had only been in the hospital once in my life because of a high school football injury.  What? Conjestive heart failure?  That's for older people isn't it?  Not me, because I don't miss work nor am I sick.  In fact, I had enough unused personal leave days to retire earlier if I wanted to.  Not me, I am a former athlete and I feel okay. Never had chest pains, but many other symptoms became evident after a while.  I am coaching/teaching students to graduate (first), to be successful, accountable and competitive athletes. 


I tried to make a positive impact even though it is hard to reach each one.  When I first started teaching, it took me four years to learn that I may not be able to reach them all.  Thought I would make a difference; change the world...you know, young man right out of college kind of thinker.


With that same passion I approached game time with strategies that parrelled life.  Be knowledgeable of the opponent, be prepared with a game plan and an alternate.  Rely on these with skills and stamina to get the job done.  Keeping in mind that the round ball bounces in every direction.  Most times we have the result we are looking for.


Giving back is the absolute motivating factor regarding heart and other health related issues.  If your church, club or organization is interested in supporting a cause an making a difference in the lives of others, please allow me to make a presentation to encourage involvement.  The ball is in your court and together we can support the significiant improvement in survival, and quality of life for advanced heart failure patients. 

No comments:

Post a Comment