Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Hearty Hobby and (Chore)

I am a Bermuda grass man myself :)

I am asked many times if I have any more games left in me or if I would want to come back to maintain the playing fields I once kept for the school system.  I am comfortable to say "no" to both questions.  I am perfectly content watching from the stands.  Sometimes we have to know when to say when.  Keep in mind I was in good health during my tenure in the school system.  I retired because it was t i m e after 32 years of dedication.

When I did coach, a part-time task was to take care of four playing fields by myself.  That's right-I said it.  Full-time after retirement until late June, 2010.   I couldn't let home be deprived because of the amount of time at the other four locations that I maintained.  I was proud of the accomplishments and the community began to notice as well as understand what went into this major task.

What do you think?


Me too. 

I enjoyed talking about grass and lawn care.  I would attend turfgrass meetings to stay abreast of the trade.  Many times I would call Field Managers for large colleges or universities.  It was obvious when I had someone on the other end of the phone that love what they did to keep the fields looking good for televised games.

It is time for you to put out the pre-emergence on the lawn.  This is necessary to stop the weeds from overtaking your lawn in the spring

~Coach Chip

No comments:

Post a Comment